What domain extension is this?
.CN is the country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for China.
What are the requirements & restrictions for this domain extension?
Any individual from any country can register for 2LD.cn, 3LD.cn and .中国 domain name with their personal name. Meanwhile, only organization from selected countries is eligible to register 2LD.cn, 3LD.cn and .中国 domain name under its company name.
Special requirements/restrictions for a .cn and .中国 domain name are as below:
- Only organization / entities from selected country are eligible to register .CN or CN Registry managed CDN domain name through WebNIC. Click here to view eligible Country List.
- WebNIC can provide partners Local Contact Service in China. Local Contact Service is chargeable, the fee is USD 10 per domain per year.
- An .cn application submission is not consider as registered, domain will be under “in-auditing” status. Supporting document is required for auditing, supporting document required to be email to [email protected] within 3 days from the application submission date.
- MIIT ICP Recording Number is required to enable the domain to resolve in China.
- China’s MIIT ICP Recording Number:
- ICP license is a permit issued by the Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology to permit China-based websites to operate in China. Website owners should apply for an ICP Licence, otherwise the Chinese Ministry of Information Industry( MII ) would not consider your website as a legal one. The ICP license is just like an online business license from Chinese government.
- China’s MIIT ICP Recording Number is required to activate a successful audited application.
- If Registrant is not registered in China’s MIIT ICP Recording system, domain name will be on “”serverhold”” status till Registrant is able to provide Registrar with the MIIT ICP Record Number. Domain status will then be changed to “”ok”” and be resolvable after Registry’s verification.
- Registrant need to record the name with MIIT ICP Recording system, after the application pass; email providing the Record Number to WebNIC for domain activation. Plese refer to Please refer miibeian.gov.cn for more information on MIIT ICP Process.
- Note that filling of a ICP request, the recording number have yet eligible for a .cn domain activation. Only recording number after the ICP request being verified and passed is eligible for a .cn domain activation. An verified and passed ICP request will have a ICP certificate.
- In the event that required documents and forms are not submitted on time, incorrectly completed, have unclear or hand-altered data, have incorrect or insufficient supporting documentation or do not pass .cn registry’s auditing, the domain names applied for will be automatically deleted and refund is provide.
- In the event of failed applications, a full re-application with the correct full-set of documentation will be required.
What kind of domain extension does WebNIC offer?
WebNIC currently offer .cn, .com.cn, .net.cn, .org.cn, .中国, .公司 and .网络
What document is required for this domain extension?
Below are the required supporting documents for a .cn new application:
|Company Type||Required Documents|
|For Individual Application||
|For China’s Applicant||
|For Hong Kong’s Applicant||
|For Applicant from other country||
- China applicant must submit Business License (企业营业执照) and Certificate of Organization Code (组织机构代码证). Please note that a Certificate of Organization Code is a key document for auditing and lack of it will result in failure of the auditing process.
- Documents submitted must be consistent and tally with the information of the domain name. If the document is in Chinese form, the domain information must be in Chinese and vice versa. Only supporting documentation in English and Chinese will be accepted.
- Registrant Contact person name must be tally and match as per personal ID document. The registrant name must be submitted in sequence as in First Name/名 (Surname/Family name), while Last Name/姓 (Name).
eg: Personal ID: 李小龙
First Name/名: 李
Last Name/姓: 小龙
- Registry reserve the right to delete a domain name if the supporting documents submitted is insufficient or incorrect.
- Registry reserve the right to further acquire extra supporting documents for auditing.
What is the length limitation for this domain extension?
Minimum 1 / Maximum 63 characters.
What is the terms of registration?
1 to 10 years.
Can I delete a domain after registered?
Partners are allowed to delete a .cn domain name after registered, registration fee is refundable within 3 days grace period.
What is the terms of renewal?
1 to 10 years.
How does the Domain Life Cycle work for this domain extension?
After a .cn domain registered under CNNIC was expired, it will go through below life cycle:
Renewal Grace Period
Redemption Grace Period
If partners did not renew or restore the domain name, it will be release for public re-registration approximately 55 days for domain registered under CNNIC. Please note that domain re-registration is on first-come, first-served basis.
What is the procedure for transferring the domain registrar under this domain extension?
Partners are allowed to initiate registrar transfer for .cn domain name. Please note that domain will be extended for 1 year after completion.
Registrar transfers in for .cn domain name will be allowed for Domestic-based registrars connecting through registry’s gateway. Domain names registered through non-Domestic-based registrars cannot be transferred into Domestic-based registrars, and vice versa.
What is the procedure for transferring the domain reseller under this domain extension?
Partners are allowed to initiate reseller transfer for .cn domain name. Please note that domain will be extended for 1 year after completion.
Please refer to Reseller Transfer for more detail information
Does WebNIC provide Internationalized Domain name (IDN) for this domain extension?
WebNIC does provide IDN .CN domain name . When an IDN.cn domain is registered, its variant under .cn extension will be reserved under the same registrant as well, and vice versa.
Reseller can refer to reseller panel register domain to find out what language is providing.