What domain extension is this?
.BANK is a verified domain exclusively for the banking community and financial institutions, which is a more secure space for online banking and communication.
What are the requirements & restrictions for this domain extension?
To register a .BANK domain, organization must be eligible and the domain name(s) that selected must match with the organization’s legal name or branding (e.g., trademark, trade name, service mark). A registered trademark is not required to register a .BANK domain name.
Organization must fall under one of the following government regulated entities:
- Retail bank
- Savings association
- National bank
- Bank holding or parent companies
Other eligible organizations include:
- Associations or groups of associations whose membership is primarily comprised of the above regulated entities
- Government regulators of retail banks, savings associations, national banks or organizations whose members are primarily comprised of such government regulators (if approved by the Registry Operator Board)
The .BANK Registrant Eligibility Policy and its Implementation Guideline is accessible here.
.BANK domain names are required to implement security technologies such as Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC), Encryption/Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Email Authentication. Registrant still allow to register for a .BANK domain if cannot fulfil the security requirements, and the domain name cannot be resolved after register.
- .BANK domain names must be hosted on .BANK name server and the Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) must be implemented.
- The .BANK website must install Transport Layer Security (TLS version 1.2 or greater)
- Email Authentication: Publish in DNS as a text record
- Domain-based message Authentication, Reporting, and Conformance (DMRC) record
- Sender Policy Framework (SPF) and/or DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) records when domain is used for email
What kind of domain extension does WebNIC offer?
How to register for this domain extension?
All registrants and .BANK domains must be verified by Registry. The process of .BANK domain registration usually takes 3-7 business days.
- Step 1: Complete the verification application at Registry website with the “Select My .BANK Domain” feature to get verified and approved by the registry. For the choice of registrars, please select WebNIC as the registrar.
- Step 2: Register .BANK domain name through WebNIC, and the domain status will show as “Pending Registry”.
- Step 3: Upon approval, registrant will receive a registration token via email. Registrant must provide the token to WebNIC for validation.
- Step 4: Registry reviews and approves the registration.
What document is required for this domain extension?
As part of the registration process, registrant is required to provide certain information to Registry Operator. This information includes full legal name, organization name, organization address, organization phone, organization email. Another proof of identity necessary to establish that the registrant is eligible such as (e.g., business license, certificate of formation, articles of incorporation, corporate operating agreement, charter documents, attorney opinion letter, mission statement for non-profit organization).
For retail banks and savings associations, the assigned regulatory ID and Government Regulatory Authority issuing its charter or license.
How does the verification process work?
Registry will perform verification upon the initial registration of a .BANK domain, annually thereafter and if certain registration information changes (e.g., Registrant Organization, Registrant Name, Registrant Email).
For new Registrants, the verification process usually takes 1-3 business days. The verification process requires email and/or telephone contact with the Registrant’s organization to verify certain information.
What is the length limitation for this domain extension?
Minimum of 1 / maximum of 63 characters allowed.
What is the term of registration?
The term of registration for .BANK domain is 1- 10 year(s).
Can I delete a domain after registered?
Yes, you are allowed to delete the domain after registered. However, the registration fee is not refundable.
What is the term of renewal?
The term of renewal is 1 – 10 year(s).
How does the Domain Life Cycle work for this domain extension?
After a .BANK domain was expired, it will go through below life cycle:
Renewal Grace Period
Redemption Grace Period
If partner did not renew the domain name, it will be released for public re-registration approximately 75 days from the domain expiration date. Please note that domain re-registration is based on first-come, first-serve basis.
Can I transfer the domain registrar under this domain extension?
Yes, partners are allowed to initiate registrar transfer for .BANK domain name. Please note that domain will be extended for 1 year after completion. Partner may refer to “Registrar Transfer” FAQ for more information.
Can I transfer the domain reseller under this domain extension?
Yes, partners are allowed to initiate reseller transfer for .BANK domain name. Please note that domain will be extended for 1 year after completion. Partner may refer to “Reseller Transfer” FAQ for more information.
Does WebNIC provide Internationalized Domain name (IDN) for this domain extension?
No, WebNIC doesn’t provide IDN.BANK domain name.